There are over 10,000 mobile homes located within Harrison County. In order for a mobile home owner to acquire local utilities such as electricity and telephone services, the mobile home must be registered with the Tax Assessor. Mobile homes may be registered as real property or as personal property. Specific laws dealing with mobile home property classification and valuation may be found in Section 27-53-15. Mississippi Code Annotated.In order to register a mobile home as real property, the mobile home owner must own the land upon which the mobile home is placed.
Instructions For Registering Mobile Homes In Harrison County
- You must have written approval from the appropriate Zoning Department before you can move a mobile home on property other than an approved mobile home park.
Make this your first stop before purchasing a mobile home
- You must provide proof that all applicable taxes have been paid.
- Mississippi Use Tax on mobile homes purchased from out of state dealers must be paid to Harrison County Tax Collector prior to registration.
- Mississippi Sales Tax on mobile homes purchased from individuals must be paid to Harrison County Tax Collector prior to registration if new owner cannot show proof of prior registration.
- You must show that the current years property taxes have been paid in order to avoid additional charges.
- You must provide proof of purchase such as a bill of sale.
- If you purchased your mobile home from a Mississippi dealer after June of 1999, we must see the title or application for same.
- You must provide both a physical address and mailing address.
- You will be asked general employment information such as employer and phone number.
- If the mobile home is to be placed on your land, we will need to see the recorded deed or copy showing the recording date with book and page.
- Those applying for military exemption must provide a letter obtainable from the base legal office.
For answers to your questions concerning mobile home registrations contact 228-865-4044.